Town of Truro
Its vistas from beaches on both Cape Cod Bay and the Atlantic Ocean have inspired artists, writers and beachcombers alike. Three quarters of Truro is located within the National Seashore. Its remote peacefulness, with sandy dunes and rolling hills make it a great destination for visitors looking to get away.
Truro History and information
Truro missed its chance at immortality when the little band of Pilgrims from the Mayflower decided not to stay in the rolling hills and moors that might have reminded some of them of home and to follow Captain Myles Standish to the area across the bay that became Plymouth. Although the Pilgrims didn’t stay in Truro, it was a find of seed corn, ten bushels, stored by the Pamet Indians on what is now known as Corn Hill, that helped to sustain them the following year. Settlers did not come back until two decades later, when the land now known as Pamet was part of a large tract granted to Thomas Prence and other proprietors of Nauset. In 1689 the Pamet Proprietors negotiated purchases of land from the Pamet Indians. In 1705 Pamet was established and changed its name to Dangerfield. In 1709 Dangerfield separated from Eastham, incorporated as a town and changed its name to Truro. Today, three quarters of Truro is in the National Seashore and Truro remains a quiet town. There are fine beaches, both on bay and by the ocean under spectacular dunes. Truro possesses beautiful beaches on Cape Cod Bay and some of the most magnificent beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. A source of inspiration to artists and beachcombers alike, Truro’s beaches, dunes and landscape of rolling hills are an attraction to tourists and vacationers. Highland Light, moved back last summer from its precarious perch on the eroding cliffs (the power of the Atlantic Ocean is awesome), still sweeps its beam over all the hills and valleys of Truro, a revolution every minute reminding all of Truro’s seafaring past as its life saving light flashes miles out to sea.
Points of Interest
1 Highland House – Built at the turn of the century as an inn, this now operates as the Truro Historical Museum. The structure contains a collection of 17th Century antiques, period firearms, shipwreck pieces and fishing/whaling implements. Located on High Land Light Road.
2 Bell Church – A meetinghouse built in 1827 and named after the Revere bell in its steeple, this church still holds Sunday services. Its windows are made from Sandwich glass. Located on Meeting House Road off Route 6.
3 Jenny Lind Tower – Originally a railroad depot tower in Fitchburg, it is famous for a concert performed by “Swedish Nightingale” Jenny Lind in 1850. When an angry mob formed outside a concert hall after promoters oversold the Lind concert, she climbed the tower and sang to them for free. When the Fitchburg Depot was demolished in 1927, this tower was moved to Truro. It now sits beside the Highland Light Beach parking lot.
4 Old North Cemetery – Some of Truro’s first inhabitants were laid to rest here on the “Hill of Storms.” It also marks the location of the town’s original meetinghouse and Congregational church. After residents decided these buildings were too far away, a new church was built in 1827 at Truro center and the meetinghouse moved closer. The cemetery still remains with tombstones dating back into the 1700s. Located on Aldrich Road off Route 6.
Beaches- Stickers are available at the Beach Commission office, the Truro Selectmen Ph# (508) 349-3635. For all Cape Cod National Seashore beaches call (508) 349-3785.
- Ballston Beach
- Corn Hill Beach- Located at the mouth of the Pamet River, it’s a great place to watch the boat traffic heading in and out of the harbor.
- Fisher Beach
- Great Hollow Beach
- Head of The Meadow Beach- Head of the Meadow Beach is owned by both the town and National Seashore. Good beach for families with smaller children.
- Longnook Beach- Pretty and serene this beach is surrounded by beautiful dune cliffs. Parking is limited.
- Ryder Road Beach
- High Head Beach
- Pond Village Beach
- Beach Point Beach
- Coast Guard Beach
- Pilgrim beach
Highland Golf Course 508-487-9201